Proud Section Sponsor!

Author Topic: Engine Heater  (Read 613 times)

Offline Pushrod

• View Profile
Engine Heater
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:55:12 am »

I don't know if this is of any interest but I'll post it up anyway.

We ran our Funny Car for the first time this year and the weather forecast indicated very low temperatures ( it's England, what a surprise...). Before we left we fabricated an engine heater from an old steel 440 pan and a Dewalt heat gun. We kept the temperature setting low and in around an hour all the internals up to and including the valve gear were warm to touch.

On the Sunday we ran two races with the Chaos AA/FA and lost both. The car went 6.26 and 6.29 which were both improvements on our previous best of 6.33. The Altered went 6.12 at 230 in the second race.

Must try harder.

Have a good day.

Offline Gaynor Spice

• View Profile
Re: Engine Heater
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:01 am »
That's a great idea. I have trouble heating up 70 wt even with a space heater on a cold day. I have told the guys I race with if it isn't 60 degrees we are not going to run.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, what was the temp?

Offline Pushrod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:15:30 am »
Around 50 degrees Jeff.  We've also had little success trying to preheat from the outside, the awning just fills with people trying to keep warm.

We kept the temperature pretty low on the heat gun. When they're blowing into a confined space they can get pretty nasty.

Offline Mark Leigh

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:41:34 am »
What are you doing to warm the oil before pouring it in the motor-tank ?
Mark Leigh

Offline tmacracin

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:52:30 am »
We use these up in the cold north. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/m20ProductDisplayView?pageSize=10&resultCatEntryType=2&searchTerm=&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&productId=962816&storeId=10001&sType=&pgGrp=search

Drop one in the dry sump lid. Or we put the bung right in the pan on a wet sump setup. Another way is to build a box that sits on a 110v 2 element stove and hear the oil that way. It flashes off the fuel and moisture also between runs. No open flame either so it's fairly safe other than having hot oil in your pit.
Tavis MacDonell

Offline Bob Bradley

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:00:51 pm »
In CALIFORNIA we set it out in the SUN.  ;D ;D ;D
California Bob Bradley--being over 70 is a victory

Offline Pushrod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:20 pm »
We use a heater pad that's stuck on the side of the oil tank Mark.

When we've run only the oil heater in the cold weather the engine takes all the heat away within a few seconds of starting. I understand that this will put some temperature in the engine but I'd be surprised if it's that much.

Offline Bob Bradley

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
We do the warm up on 20/50 wt. and I run it on the gas bottle for a minute to make heat before turning to a lean alky.  This usually makes enough heat to then switch to Nitro in another minute or so.  Godfrey has the guy in the seat hold the brake and wacks the throttle.  I have never thought that was a good idea on 20/50 wt.
  ::) 
California Bob Bradley--being over 70 is a victory

Offline Pushrod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »
That's pretty sensible, I hadn't considered a lighter oil. I guess if you understand the problem you're more than half way there.

Offline rogerstanke1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »
We welded a bung into our dry sump tank and  used a 110 volt commercial truck oil heater.  Worked great.
Roger Stanke

Offline Gaynor Spice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 06:15:54 pm »
We welded a bung into our dry sump tank and  used a 110 volt commercial truck oil heater.  Worked great.

That's a good idea too. What brand are you using?

Offline rogerstanke1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 02:07:00 pm »
We bought it from Peterson Fluid Systems.  They have several sizes.  As I remember, it only took about 20 minutes to get our oil hot.  We use it all the time before the engine warmup.
Roger Stanke

Offline DRE

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:16 pm »
Always make sure there is oil in the tank before pluging/turning on the heater, otherwise KA-BOOM
BRUCE DYDA

Offline Troy Cagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »
Decades ago, I helped Les Leggitt a few times at El Mirage, & I got to heat the oil in the morning with some of these..(cheap alum kind).
Used a 4 burner Coleman stove & took it to 175--Nitro engine---it gets fkn cold up there sometimes.

Mountains & the Canyons Start to Tremble & Shake,,,Children Of The Sun Begin------To Awake,,,,Watch Out--- Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin 'Going To California'
"You have an opinion on everything"---

Troy Cagle

Offline billy101fc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:02:56 pm »
Remove the breather (puke) hoses off the valve covers and connect the heat gun to one side . If your gun has an air only setting it can be used to cool the engine also .
Bill Peterson

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:02:56 pm »
Stith Printing Fuel Coupe Magazine

Proud Section Sponsor!