Proud Section Sponsor!

Author Topic: Safecraft fire bottles  (Read 131 times)

Offline Bad Manners

• Super Comp
    • View Profile
    • www.badmannersracing.com
Safecraft fire bottles
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »
The SFI tags are expired on my Safecraft fire bottles and Safecraft has made it clear to me that they will not re-cert them. Said something about DOT rules or some bullshit. I talked to Big Ben at DJ and he made it sound like I was being fed a line of crap. Anybody know who is able and willing to re-cert them for me? I have an empty spare set that needs to be refilled as well. If I can't find anyone I guess I'll switch brands, but I'd like to stick with what I've got.
Scott Stanger

Offline DRE

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Safecraft fire bottles
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »
would help to know where you are at. I just had a S/C bottle done locally after I bought the seals from Ben. Honestly never have seen tech check the dates as long as the arrow is in the green.
BRUCE DYDA

Offline Eric Larson

• Super Comp
    • View Profile
    • www.grocerygetterwagon.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »
Are they halon?  I don't think they'll refill halon anymore (thanks to the EPA) and you're supposed to switch to the replacement stuff.  Maybe that's Safecraft's stumbling block?

Eric

Offline Bad Manners

• Super Comp
    • View Profile
    • www.badmannersracing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
I'm near Salt Lake City, Utah. There is a place in town willing to refill them, but the tag is my bigger concern. I have never seen the Tech Inspector check the tag either, but it would be my luck to travel somewhere, and that's the time a Tech guy decides to check. Just trying to play by the rules....
Scott Stanger

Offline DRE

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 05:33:40 pm »
Halon/Freon derivited is still legal, its over $20 a lb, so 2 10# will kill $400 + the service.
BRUCE DYDA

Offline nitrowannabe

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:12 pm »
DOT failure might be due to the age of the bottles. I would ask them to clarify  and then ask what the fines are for traveling with out of cert bottles. DOT cert would apply to CO2, NOS, Nitrogen bottles also I think.

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:12 pm »
Stith Printing Fuel Coupe Magazine

Proud Section Sponsor!