Stith Printing Click for Taylor Motorsports Click for Nitro Madness
Click for AA/FC Registry Click For Mert Littlefield Blowers
Click for Assassin Web Design
Deist Safety

Author Topic: INJECTED FUEL COMBO  (Read 13837 times)

Offline Tom Burke

• View Profile
Re: INJECTED FUEL COMBO
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:43 am »
Vic,

What about the pan?   http://www.billetfab.com/pans.htm
Tom Burke

Offline Tiki Man

• Top Fuel
  • Ron Huegli
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2010, 02:37:31 am »
Didn't Springer & Price run an injected car out of Oregon?

Yep. Out of Eugene. Grant is here in Portland and ran an A/FC as late as'81 or '82 with a Firechicken body. 6.90's if my memory serves me right. Ronnie Orr might remember. We ran against them at PIR & SIR.
"Nice run,hell I'm amazed the P.O.S. Started"

SLICK VIC

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
Yes thats a big downfall to the chevy motor if you want to pull the pan,..to answer your
question its as simple as,...what about it ??? if you have to pull a chevy pan at the track you might as well
load up and head home especially at a one day event.
But yea,.. thats a cool earl pan for $700 bucks or more. 

Keeping motors in this class limited to 500 inches and say a 7.70/7.80 cap should be a respectable ET, dont get me wrong
Id love to go 7.0 or 7.20-30-50 but by keeping it there that would allow alot more car count to those guys with chassis
that may only cert to a 7.50 or slower, and also not having to run the motor as hard is longevity and cost effectivness.

Its not about seeing how fast you can go,..You keep going faster and faster and you will be looked down apon and handed RULES and
limitations, and I believe that is what will KILL Nostalgia, your ET`s....because thats why they have the NHRA and in a plain simple fact
we all have to look up to the NHRA for our licence, our certs, our tracks,....etc...etc..cept some guys in the Midwest...hehehehe.

;D

Offline james hartley

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 01:46:16 pm »
[Keeping motors in this class limited to 500 inches and say a 7.70/7.80 cap should be a respectable ET. [/quote]

Right now you have a bunch of folks running easy 7.60's (NE1) on injected alcohol with BBC and Hemi's, heck a couple SBC with convential heads on 20% are making that index.  You best re think that range as that's almost too slow to quailfy for a top sportsman race. 6.90's or lower, 500ci max and add weight breaks for each drop of 20ci.  Heck just make it a 6.50 index and bring whatever you want for a engine combo.

SLICK VIC

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »
James I am not talking about going to run at the heritage series NE1 7.60 index class which are alot of BB/FC and BB/D that dont
run in 7.0 pro

Because unless you live in California that class is not up here, and also we are not a Top Sporstman class or vehicle.
7.50 and slower for chassis purposes hint hint.. heck my pos is good to 6.0 but I am not going to to run it down there let alone 7.0.

This is about affordability, NO ELECTRONICS PERIOD. and running some stack injected floppers a class of their own ON ALCOHOL.

And to bring whatever you want is exactly why there is so much bitching and complaining amongst AA/ and BB/ should have
just sad no from the begining and stuck to the existing rules that where laid down years ago,..Nowadays its everyone trying to bend
the rules to fit their current car,..woops...whos mistake is that,.. ::)

There will be a set of rules and build the car to the rules,..and for the injected cars well they are ALL in the Midwest
and East Coast ON ALCOHOL, and no where near me to run against. so something alot closer would be the way to go if
there is enough interest to do so I will follow up on the ones who want to step in and play and not bust up their parts
and have money left over when its all said and done.

8.0 on alcohol is a great number,..of course unless if your running a 632ci or 705 ci,..well that cube wont happen 500ci limit. infact I will have to destroke my 505 ci to be legal,..ok so what....
Now about the Nitro upwords of 30% is good for a tenth or two if you have the right combo and that maybe where this all goes to reach that 7.70 et.

We,..I mean I,.. am here and you are there,..too many miles inbetween to say yea or nay.

ProNostalgia injected nitro diggers up here run 6.50-6.70 on a regular basis,..those are diggers, this would be funny cars, and I dont think running a load of 80 to 95 % will be permisable to run at any track,..rules are rules.
so lets get it all running on alcohol first and go from there to 30%.

Just food for thought.

Bic
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:24:39 pm by SLICK VIC »

Offline Solid Rock

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »
Just keep on mind that there is a reason that the California Injected Funny Car Association and the Midwest Injected Funny Car Association went to blowers.
There were quite a few injected funny cars in the midwest and out west in the mid eighties to the early nineties. They pretty much all switched to blowers when NHRA changed there rules to allow automatic transmission with blown motors.
Keep in mind that there was also a reason that the IFCA and UDRA cars all switched from injected fuel to blown alky back in the early seventies.

Good luck on your venture.

Offline Chi Town Brown

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chitownraceproducts.com
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »
Just keep on mind that there is a reason that the California Injected Funny Car Association and the Midwest Injected Funny Car Association went to blowers.
There were quite a few injected funny cars in the midwest and out west in the mid eighties to the early nineties. They pretty much all switched to blowers when NHRA changed there rules to allow automatic transmission with blown motors.
Keep in mind that there was also a reason that the IFCA and UDRA cars all switched from injected fuel to blown alky back in the early seventies.

Good luck on your venture.

So what are you saying Rocky?    If you want to make an Injected Nitro class Make a Planetary tranmission and clutch mandatory?  You do have a good point but I think a No electronics and manual throttle linkage would take care of alot of the advantage you are talking about!!  But thats just my 25 second and 2 cent observation.
Chi-Town Race Products - Dan Brown
(708)675-2089  www.chitownraceproducts.com
Happy to have served
DSR Team Matco (Antron Brown)
DSR Team Army (Tony Schumacher)
IHRA (Feld Motorsport)
Don Garlits
Bill Miller
Richard Petty Ent.

Offline Kenneth S

• Kenneth Skloss
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »
If you don't run a blower there's less safety, and other stuff that running a blower requires.
1. an expensive 14.3 blower restraint
2. you don't have to shield any oil, or fuel lines from a blower belt
I am sure that there are other things that are not needed when your not running a blower.
Tribute to Danny.

SLICK VIC

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »
Im not sure what you mean Rock, other than you could tune your car threw pulley changes to go faster.

What was the reason they all went,.. well most switched to blowers ??? cause they ran faster than Naturaly Aspirated nitro??

I dont believe that is the case with starting a Nostalgia Injected flopper class,...You guys have your AA/FC group,..Your BB/FC groups
why not a Injected funny car Group,..its just a thought you know me,.Im always game if it is obtainable....lol

N/A funny car safety..B/FC,...

Nhra Accepted engine diaper.
5 LB fire suppression for driver
nuetral safty lock out for automatics
Reverse lockout for automatics
Master Kill switch at back of car if carrying self starting battery
16.1 seat belts
-15 fire suit, gloves, boots,.head sock
-5 fire suit if you have a floor covering your tranny
Min. two rear hydraulic brakes

If running Nitro more than 30% you will need the following,.....A/FC

Nhra sfi engine diaper
Belly pan
Fire protective underbody paint and sticker
20 lbs fire suppression
-20 firesuit, gloves, boots
Fresh air system and helmet

Thats just off the top of my head from asking for a few years now about RUNNING A injected nitro funny car.

Offline james hartley

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 05:59:10 pm »
So you want to run high 7's and call it a show or just a club race? Are you expecting to get paid as a group or pay to play?  I love funny cars but if they are going slower than a super comp car (off the stop) I don't see that being much fun to race or to watch. Would make a better car show.  However if you already have a market go for it. I think seeing a bunch of strong running older body funnycars running on 80-99% would be awesome but I was thinking about them as an opening act for NTF or N/FC. GL

Offline Solid Rock

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
Vic, First off, If you are going to do this just say that all NHRA safety rules must be adhered to. To do anything else would be foolhardy. You don't want to tow several hours and be told that you can't run because you aren't in compliance with the safety rules. I have seen guys do this then gripe.

The reason I was told that the guys switched to the blown alky was that it was cheaper, they could go faster, and they could get more bookings. I was told this back in the 70's.

When I ran the MIFCA we did allow nitro one year. Two guys ran it with some success. A few others tried it and weren't very successful at all.
That year we lost some bookings because the tracks said they weren't going to pay the extra insurance premiums that they were charged by their insurance co. when they had even one nitro car on the premises.
This may have changed since then.

Getting a group of guys together to run this class, and run consistently, IMO, will be very difficult. Low many people are there to turn to to get GOOD advice on these combinations?

Dan, I'm not saying that at all. Up until about 1990, the NHRA would not allow blowers on cars with automatic transmissions. Most of the injected cars at that time had automatics and when the rule change came into effect most all the racers eventually went to blowers.
Another thing that happened is that the bookings came easier.

Offline Solid Rock

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 06:13:53 pm »
While I'm on my soap box there are two other important things to consider.
1. You need a set of rules and you need to have everyone abide by them. If you think this is an easy thing to do, then you haven't been paying attention to this and other boards over the last several years.
You also need someone to enforce the rules.

2. You need to be prepared to spend about as much time running a circuit as you do at your full time job.
Until you've been in that position you can't possibly know how much time and how many headaches are involved. I know first hand and that is one of many reasons I am so grateful that Denny Salzwimmer is out there getting me and others a place to race. [Hey Nitro Donnie, How's that for nutrubbing??]

Vic, If you really want to keep your life simple just put a blower on your car and go have fun.

All that said, good luck to you.....it ain't easy!!

Offline Solid Rock

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 06:29:50 pm »
All that said, I do really enjoy seeing the injected nitro FED's run.There are several around here and iIm friends with most of them. They put on a darn good show!

Offline JHOLE

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 06:50:05 pm »
I'll ask the 'ol man why everything changed from A/FC - IFCA to everyone going to BB/FC... I'm guessin' it had alot to do with NHRA coming out with pro comp..

And - I will agree with Solid Rock - It was waaayyyy better to run a BB/FC in the midwest in the seventies if you wanted to make money. Even the part timers and fill-ins made money. 

It was such good times that it was hard to justify NHRA points.

The hardest trips for me were Byron - Cordova - Martin. All in one weekend. From Toledo that was alot of drive time. And as soon as we made it back close to Ohio (after coming from the Mississipi) We headed back away from home....

There wasn't a weekend that it wasn't snowing that we weren't booked in or making points. Really - we hit every weekend from March 'til October - doubling up most weekends...

It was an amazing time...

SLICK VIC

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »
Well Rock I understand what you are saying you have been there done that no question.

Remeber here today in this day,..not back in the day why they all switched,..that has nothing to do with NOW.
injected cars are the youngest brother of three plain and simple were not going to put together a deal just to say down the road,.hey lets switch to blowers,..We will do this because it is affordable, we like it, and so does everyone else that has seen mine or any other injected car out there,..its all part of the show,..just like a/gas or nostalgia super stock, or nostalgia eliminator.

My car was proven in 1972, and still is the same proof in 2010, it was a cool show then, and this car today still runs with wild
wheelies and smokey burnouts and runs the exact numbers from its Birth,...there is a show here, and it dont matter if I can get 6 or
even 12 of these injected floppers together that look as they did from 1970something to run for a purse or to run for a show.
My Point is, with these injected cars all nhra legal, we too have something to offer, but in due time.

James how can you,..better yet, How dare you talk about throttle cock cars in comparison to Nostalgia bodied funny cars
Im not even going to comprehand anything about a electronicly controlled piece of pipe rack that if you dont have your .004-.006
game package going on your just another contributer to someone elses bank,...sorry wrong error dude.!!!!
I think if you saw a funny car running on any percentage that represented the past just as its 2 older brother classes  run would make
for a perfect scenerio,..AA/`S  BB/`S AND Injected alky/nitro floppers,..so what if we only run 7.70 to 8.0 other than the NWBB/FC group
tell me how many great lakes cars run in the 6` all the time, and mearly run 7.20 to 7.50..and you know that those numbers are ok and just fine,..ITS A SHOW,..if you came to see ET`s James go to a divisional race or National event to get your fix for Alarm cock racing.

Rock all that I listed above for safety equiptment is all nhra rules,..those are all that are required 7.50 ET AND slower
Come on You saw me out there on my 6800 miles 6 race tracks of getting teched,..do you think I would have traveled 7000 miles round trip to be tolled,..oh thats not legal, or you need to change this or that to be legal,..come on............

First things first,...one step at a time,..may the cards that get dealt, get played or get folded.
 In the mean time I am still just running singles.

Doesnt matter what Et you might run, but if you want a show or want to entertain an audience  well jump in the seat of an Injected alky flopper and lets see you NOT abort the run.

Now lets go have some safe fun.

:)

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »
Stith Printing Deist Safety