Stith Printing Click for Taylor Motorsports Click for Nitro Madness
Click for AA/FC Registry Click For Mert Littlefield Blowers
Click for Assassin Web Design
Deist Safety

Author Topic: Al Vanderwoude "Flying Dutchman" 66-67  (Read 6558 times)

Offline David Pace

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Al Vanderwoude "Flying Dutchman" 66-67
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:19 pm »
I think I remember this.  It was a July 4th deal at Green Valley.  I had my injected dragster there but went out early on Saturday evening and got to watch most of the fuel cars.  I think this pic was from Sunday afternoon.

D. Pace

Offline Chi Town Brown

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chitownraceproducts.com
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:12 pm »
Hey Billy ,was Dick Jesse's wheel wells fucked up or was his roof too low?

I gotta tell ya,I like the Maverick,first time I ever saw that pic.

Hey Brown,how much for a maverick body,no hood scoop?

You can get a Maverick.... Its not chopper gun stuff.    My... I mean The mold is over at Rosetty's. He builds good stuff.    Go buy the turn key car over in Missouri so I can beat someone up to get paid.
Chi-Town Race Products - Dan Brown
(708)675-2089  www.chitownraceproducts.com
Happy to have served
DSR Team Matco (Antron Brown)
DSR Team Army (Tony Schumacher)
IHRA (Feld Motorsport)
Don Garlits
Bill Miller
Richard Petty Ent.

Offline Buickfunnycar

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • BuickFunnyCar.com
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »
I use to draw pictures of VanderWoudes cars when I was in grade school,,,,esp the long one with half-a-roof.

LOL...you too? I used to draw this car and Landy's Dart...think I got expelled once too!  8)
1967 Buick GS Skylark F/C "Ingenue"...World's ONLY Buick-powered Buick F/C /Aug '10 Hot Rod feature

John Lipori
www.buickfunnycar.com
LOOK: http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunn

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 12:36:59 pm »
I liked his Mustang ll .had the  gasser style Hilborn 4 holer with a polished scoop like I used to run

Go buy the turn key car over in Missouri so I can beat someone up to get paid.

I'm going to keep it up by going out on another limb here...
I TRULY BELIEVE...That car would have sold 10 times already  WITH ANY OTHER BODY!!!!
Keep On, Keeping On

Offline the zone

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • www.speedzonemagazine.com
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 11:29:16 pm »
Noreaster is a dumb ass (and not really being nostalgic) if he thinks the first few shots of the dutchman were ugly. That car was bad ass. The burnout shot is a classic.

Love all thoe early cars

Dean

Offline xdragnewsphotog

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 04:59:52 am »
Just all part of the "funny car" evolution..and lets be fair they started out crude/ugly machines by most accounts(part of why they were called funny)and modern standards, turned into some great looking machines in the 70s and 80s, and have turned back into ugly jelly beens in the "Big Show". The cars of todays nostalgia are something in between the 70s car and a more modern safely constructed car (longer overhangs, side skirts and bigger spoilers), but I like watching the nost cars alot more than what they are running in the Big Show. JMO 

Mike McCarthy
Loudon, NH

Offline eureka

• Top A-Hole
  • Members
  • Top Fuel
  • Go eat a sandwich.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:14 am »
Noreaster is a dumb ass (and not really being nostalgic) if he thinks the first few shots of the dutchman were ugly. That car was bad ass. The burnout shot is a classic.

Love all thoe early cars

Dean
It's Billy, ignore him, he's harmless.

Offline Dick Brokemon

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:22 am »
Al Vander Woude was a guy that did things HIS WAY. He put a 426 Wedge SS driveline in a Willys to run in a gasser class. He built the radical 1/2 top Dart. He used that Charger show/dream car body on a funny car. He was said to have "tunnels" under at least one car to produce front wheel well smoke during big burnouts. A showman for sure.
Now we have a long time leaker and for 25 year non racer decrying the Dutch man while petting his garage queen lumps.
Trashing the ideas of another person is very easy and the refuge of small minds.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:06:19 am by Dick Brokemon »
Norman Hechtkoff

Offline NitroHelper

• "Classic" Nitro Tuner
  • Top Fuel
  • Jerry Newman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:21 am »
.....Billy...he's harmless.....
Yeah but remember - - - he has the fastest car of the garage-ster racers  ;D  :P  :-[ ...
Wikipedia definition:
"Classic" = a perfect example + lasting worth + timeless quality

Offline eureka

• Top A-Hole
  • Members
  • Top Fuel
  • Go eat a sandwich.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 10:36:41 am »
taken under advisement

Offline Buickfunnycar

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • BuickFunnyCar.com
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »

Love all thoe early cars

Dean

Couldn't agree more Dean...those early Flying Dutchman cars give me wood just staring at them!

Ugly? No f**king way!
1967 Buick GS Skylark F/C "Ingenue"...World's ONLY Buick-powered Buick F/C /Aug '10 Hot Rod feature

John Lipori
www.buickfunnycar.com
LOOK: http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunn

Offline Big Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
Was the half top Dart built that way? I was always under the impression that it was the result of body damage, and he trimmed it back that way.
Jay Eshbach
Speed Merchant

Offline Dick Brokemon

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 12:51:25 pm »
It was definitely built that way. Somewhere i have a Chrysler Corp. official photo of the car. I can remember magazine features (feature?) on the car when it was brand new.
Norman Hechtkoff

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 06:40:59 pm »
thanks xdragnewsphotog

for UNDERSTANDING what the hell I actually said..
even though it was written in the Kings ENGLISH!!!!

Just all part of the "funny car" evolution..and lets be fair they started out crude/ugly machines by most accounts(part of why they were called funny)and modern standards, turned into some great looking machines in the 70s and 80s

SOME DID-SOME DID NOT was my evaluation of the pictures
anyone here see George Reidnaur's China Syndrom??..he could have dragged it out and showed it off like Buick..but  instead he sweated about $80K into making it way better than anything Al Hofmann ever had..not a slam on Hofmann just George's way of respecting him.

yes The Dutchman cars were crude and ugly (at times..) NO DISPUTE THERE
he took chances espec with the Charger ll  body?? I was super glad when that went away and relieved when the spare was lost in time!

BUT I NEVER DEFAMED his reputation or belittled him as a recer performer..You guys read that in on your own

as for this bit of slander...
Now we have a long time leaker and for 25 year non racer decrying the Dutch man while petting his garage queen lumps.
Trashing the ideas of another person is very easy and the refuge of small minds.
REALLY??
AT least I WAS there on the race track  , not selling memoribelia and smut in the muddy  swap meet  area lot..is that racing?? really

and the other picture taker in the north west ??(Noreaster is a dumb ass)
let's see how well you can build something?? it is easy to talk about them,with out putting up anything....Picture taker Big Bob layed under them from from the beginning..and hauled them across the country and back..we can take as gospel anything he says..he earned it!

and saving  my  favorite protagonist for last..
Yo Jerry??
what is in your garage ??..EVER?? you work on everybody elses for $$...
I also work on everybody elses.. to help them if needed..and it wasn't 25 years ago it was every season since 20005 when I decided to rebuild( I stopped in 1995)
at least I have something to rebuild ..and other cars that run almost weekly  WITH MY HELP!!
BD
Keep On, Keeping On

Offline Dick Brokemon

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
AT least I WAS there on the race track  , not selling memoribelia and smut in the muddy  swap meet  area lot..is that racing?? really

Schmuck, the last time you raced was in the mid 80s at the Keystones. Mouse drove for you and you did not smell qualifying. That is a generation ago. How long to you hang on to your identification as a NITRO RACER? You are a has been that never was.
You come on here and run down people that are trying to do something. Meanwhile i saw many of your cars, none were anything great. Get real. As far as smut, do you want to discuss your past? Pretty low that record.....
Tell us again about a traffic violation.

As far as Jerry you just added to your massive ignorance. Jerry owned dragsters fuel and I believe top gas before the nitro. You are so dependent on your fragile fuel racer identity that you lash out with no idea of what you are talking about. Maybe go into your garage and contemplate your 3 too old to be big show, too new to be nostalgia cars and after 3,4 years your might morph into a human.
Oh and before you do that, want to tell me when i stood in a muddy swap meet?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:03:01 pm by Dick Brokemon »
Norman Hechtkoff

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
Stith Printing Deist Safety