Stith Printing Click for Taylor Motorsports Click for Nitro Madness
Click for AA/FC Registry Click For Mert Littlefield Blowers
Click for Assassin Web Design
Deist Safety

Author Topic: Island Dragway  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Troy Cagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: Island Dragway
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 03:05:25 pm »
Any details about the reason for the closure?

Maybe use the space for a bank of smart phone towers?
Mountains & the Canyons Start to Tremble & Shake,,,Children Of The Sun Begin------To Awake,,,,Watch Out--- Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin 'Going To California'

Troy Cagle

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
Any details about the reason for the closure?

It depends on what board you read. Anything from back taxes to buried oil drums to sewage issues and the EPA,blah blah blah. ::)
Like I said I haven't seen an OFFICIAL statement. Sorry, a Facebook post does not exactly cut it.

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
Hey Miles. I was there that night. I have those runs on video. Even got John in his Beretta. I have one of Lou in the Goddell car going 192 also. Like I said, it was a track where I met many people who became friends.

Like to see that video some time... do you know the  date of that night? I know it was a while back...

"Big" at Island, Summer 1972

Thanks!

Miles  ;D
Miles, was that pic shot the day Garlits raced Larson?
My video was in Aug. 2000. It rained before the third round that Friday night. I have hours and hours of video shot at Island from '96 -2009.That was what was cool .John, Artie,Bob, and the rest of the crew all knew me. They had no problem letting me shoot there.

Berserko Bob

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »
I heard, and I don't know if it's true, that the track lost a shitload of money last year.  Since the Kowaliks (sp) passed the track on to whoever is running it now (relatives? I don't know) it hasn't been in the black for two years?

Again I'm just passing along what I heard, this is a phuckin rumor so don't MF me if it's not true. just what I heard.

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:06:20 am »
There's probably some credibility in that BB. Kathy(Mrs. K's daughter)got a divorce from Tony. He was basically running the track up to that time. To some, Tony could be a real a--hole but he did a fairly decent job in improving the place. They ground and smoothed out the track about 4 years ago. Anyone who ran the right hand lane probably remembers the famous bump there. It was under Tony's guidance that special shows were brought back. Mid west Funny Car circuit was one of the first back in 1990. Then came jets, wheelstanders,Pro Mods,Monster Trucks, nostalgia. They even had a NHRA National open from 2004-2008. After the divorce,Kathy took over running the track andf bad luck just seemed to follow.Several rainouts including two back to back tropical storms that flooded the place and then this year Sandy hit. Car counts were down but that is almost everywhere in this economy. I think one thing that has always plagued Island is the somewhat short shutdown area. Ther really is nothing they can do about it either. They are landlocked on both ends.This year they shortened the track to 1000' for Super Pro only. I don't know how well it was received.
 About 10 years ago, a neighboring business tried suing saying part of the property belonged to him but I believe it was struck down in court. As I mentioned, Island is in the low lands and tends to flood with any major storm. Therefore I highly doubt that if it is closed forever that you would see any kind of housing or business development on the property. It would probably revert back to farmland from which it came.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:10:04 am by FC Fan 1 »

Offline ArtC

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 11:58:05 am »
[quote author=FC Fan 1 link=topic=23315.msg308249#msg308249
Anyone who ran the right hand lane probably remembers the famous bump there.

in the Stormfront Beretta, I swear the car would dip and disapear when it hit that spot!
John said "remember this run" I sure do, bent the crank, tin-foiled the bearings......Our engine builder said "what the hell were you guys doing out there"?

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 03:23:49 pm »
You can see it in the video from the stands.

Offline John Cerchio Racing

• johncerchioracing@verizon.net
    • View Profile
    • VERIZON
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »
 My very first run down that track with the StormFront car, Art comes down with the truck to come get me, lifts the body and says... ''why'ja lift before you put it in high'' and my answer was ''I did't lift, I just drove through a gully and my foot came completely off the gas pedal!!'' at about 200 feet out.
"Leave the Gun take the Cannoli"
John A Cerchio

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:14 am »
Sad reality is sinking in. Island has been removed from NHRA's member track listings. :-[ :-[

Offline Kenneth S

• Kenneth Skloss
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 10:09:48 am »
From another forum posted by people who raced there on a weekly bassis.

The closing of Island Dragway is no surprise to those of us that have been racing there every week for decades, it's been a long time in the making with the owner, driving customers away for years!

To quote a friend and one of Island's oldest customer's/racer's who has been racing there every week for at least 25 if not 30 years... "Island was shutdown because of gross stupidity and lack of business accume"
Tribute to Danny.

Offline Troy Cagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »
And for the record,I was being facecious about the cell fone towers,(although it may hold some merit).
I've always wanted to go see a track like that on the EastCoast or wherever---I'd like to make it to Bristol,Maple Grove or E-Town someday...love the greenery at those places.
Sorry to see Island closing--
troy
Mountains & the Canyons Start to Tremble & Shake,,,Children Of The Sun Begin------To Awake,,,,Watch Out--- Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin 'Going To California'

Troy Cagle

Offline FC3385

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 05:53:18 pm »
There's probably some credibility in that BB. Kathy(Mrs. K's daughter)got a divorce from Tony. He was basically running the track up to that time. To some, Tony could be a real a--hole but he did a fairly decent job in improving the place. They ground and smoothed out the track about 4 years ago. Anyone who ran the right hand lane probably remembers the famous bump there. It was under Tony's guidance that special shows were brought back. Mid west Funny Car circuit was one of the first back in 1990. Then came jets, wheelstanders,Pro Mods,Monster Trucks, nostalgia. They even had a NHRA National open from 2004-2008. After the divorce,Kathy took over running the track andf bad luck just seemed to follow.Several rainouts including two back to back tropical storms that flooded the place and then this year Sandy hit. Car counts were down but that is almost everywhere in this economy. I think one thing that has always plagued Island is the somewhat short shutdown area. Ther really is nothing they can do about it either. They are landlocked on both ends.This year they shortened the track to 1000' for Super Pro only. I don't know how well it was received.
 About 10 years ago, a neighboring business tried suing saying part of the property belonged to him but I believe it was struck down in court. As I mentioned, Island is in the low lands and tends to flood with any major storm. Therefore I highly doubt that if it is closed forever that you would see any kind of housing or business development on the property. It would probably revert back to farmland from which it came.

That wasn't the mid west funny cars, it was the Mid America Funny Car Circuit. I know because that's where I won my first event with the circuit back in the early 90's. Beat ny old buddy Paul Scalese in the final. I forget the lady's name that was running the track back then but she had quite a personality. She was probably in her 30's back then. That was a fun track for sure though. Mike
Mike D'Andrea

Offline Bullet

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
You're right Mike!!!  I remember you winning that race.  I think it was the same night that they wouldn't pass Larry's firesuit & weren't going to let him run so he & Bullet used Bullet's black firesuit.  We had Larry run 1st pair, had someone waiting in the shutdown to bring the firesuit up to the staging lanes so Bullet could use it for the last pair of cars!!  Bullet said everytime he pulled it on, it was all sweaty!!!  LOL

Cath
Bob Floch

Offline FC3385

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 11:55:43 pm »
I remember while we were driving there we had a bag of starburst candy in the dually. I told Bobby, " I am going to stick my hand in this bag and grab a starburst, if its a red one, we are going to win our first race this weekend."
Well, it was a red one, and thats, the rest of the story... The things we did for entertainment on some of those long road trips huh? I do remember the firesuit deal too. Great times for sure !!!! Mike
Mike D'Andrea

Offline ArtC

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:42 am »
I didn't care for the track (the strip itself) but I liked the "look" of the place. The first time my wife was there, we went down to the shut-offf area and watched a Fiat turning with both chutes blossomed. "You guys run here"? She asked.

'
John said "remember this run" I sure do, bent the crank, tin-foiled the bearings......Our engine builder said "what the hell were you guys doing out there"?

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:42 am »
Stith Printing Deist Safety