Proud Section Sponsor!

Author Topic: Crower glide clutch pack clearance..  (Read 5182 times)

Offline NitroHelper

• "Classic" Nitro Tuner
  • Top Fuel
  • Jerry Newman
    • View Profile
Re: Crower glide clutch pack clearance..
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
........ treat the clutch during the time the car starts, and you stage it ....
The left coaster brings up a very important point for all drivers that can be a bigger variable to the way the clutch repeats than the gap setting... ;)
Wikipedia definition:
"Classic" = a perfect example + lasting worth + timeless quality

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/BossHydro
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:52 am »
Thanks David,

I know it was kind of vague...lol  My reasoning behind asking was I'm in a "discussion" about setting the clutch up for a less then great track, we normally run 40 thousands with our three disc ten inch clutch. I wanted to tighten the pack up to 30 and I'm being told it will destroy the clutch.... I was looking for high's and lows in general. Thanks for the info.

Rocky

If the pack is fresh and all surfaces are flat, .030 won't hurt a thing. An important part of the process is you the driver , and how you treat the clutch during the time the car starts  and you stage it ---------- alot of drivers don't always do it right, they may think so------ ;D

Mark,

I'm all ears! (or is that eyes?) OK, what is the right way to drive a car with a CrowerGlide?

Rocky

p.s. As a driver, I try and stick with same routine as not to change anything, with the glide, the only time I deviate from my routine is if the car is pulling because of a high idle or not being responsive to a small amount of pedal. In years pass, we were playing with bringing the staging rpm's up when I bumped into the beams, but the car always seem to like leaving from a idle better. Any tips or ideas are always appreciated!

Offline FC3385

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:16:39 am »
One thing to remember when trying to bring up the clutch against the stall with a glide on the starting line is that it is not a free rev like a pedal clutch. Most, if not all big show alky cars use a pedal clutch. They leave the line usually between 5000-6000 rpm if not higher. This motor rpm gets the fuel pump speed up to a point that their fuel system is designed to work in. When bringing a glide up in RPM against the stall springs you are not free revving the motor. You are actually loading it, so the fuel system does not work the same as with the pedal. I always used a glide in my alky car, and left around 2000-2500 against the stall and it worked for me. Others left at an idle. Whatever you settle into just stick with it to make your tune up and any adjustments you make to it more consistent. Just my opinion...Mike
Mike D'Andrea

Offline JHale496

• 2011/2012 DRO AA/FC Challenge National Champion
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
Thanks David,

I know it was kind of vague...lol  My reasoning behind asking was I'm in a "discussion" about setting the clutch up for a less then great track, we normally run 40 thousands with our three disc ten inch clutch. I wanted to tighten the pack up to 30 and I'm being told it will destroy the clutch.... I was looking for high's and lows in general. Thanks for the info.

Rocky

If the pack is fresh and all surfaces are flat, .030 won't hurt a thing. An important part of the process is you the driver , and how you treat the clutch during the time the car starts  and you stage it ---------- alot of drivers don't always do it right, they may think so------ ;D
Good point Mark, I've seen more than one driver torture the clutch leaving the pedal out too long with the brake on. Even seen a couple do it warming up the car.

.040 is a great pack clearance for the glide.  Had several of them myself.

We set our stall so that with the brake on/clutch out the motor drops 200 rpm.
www.nitroguys.com
John Hale  NF/C 496
www.johnhaleracing.com
Dale Pulde fan for life

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 02:54:45 pm »
OK, another "glide clutch" question, instead of closing the pack clearance up to run on a bad track, my crew chief decided to take more weight off the fingers instead, we took off approx. 18 grams ... What happened after this was the stall speed was considerably higher than it was before, (at least a thousand rpm's more). I didn't think taking weight off the clutch would change the stall...  Any body have any experiences with this happening?

Offline JHale496

• 2011/2012 DRO AA/FC Challenge National Champion
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »
The weight on the clutch is held back by the stall springs at idle. The less weight they have to hold back the higher the idle. More weight and you have to load the springs by tightening the nuts on them to have the same stall at idle. I think we start with about 2 flats of stall.
www.nitroguys.com
John Hale  NF/C 496
www.johnhaleracing.com
Dale Pulde fan for life

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 04:35:35 pm »
The weight on the clutch is held back by the stall springs at idle. The less weight they have to hold back the higher the idle. More weight and you have to load the springs by tightening the nuts on them to have the same stall at idle. I think we start with about 2 flats of stall.

Thanks John.

Online David Pace

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:14 pm »
How much stall do you usually run, Rocky?
D. Pace

Offline Mark Leigh

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:29 pm »
OK, another "glide clutch" question, instead of closing the pack clearance up to run on a bad track, my crew chief decided to take more weight off the fingers instead, we took off approx. 18 grams ... What happened after this was the stall speed was considerably higher than it was before, (at least a thousand rpm's more). I didn't think taking weight off the clutch would change the stall...  Any body have any experiences with this happening?

A 1000 RPM 's ??????????????    Do you have a tach to read in the pits ?  18 grams isn't going to do that. Especially if the clutch worked as you desired the startup before--------------------These clutches are totally  weight/RPM sensitive.
Mark Leigh

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 07:35:25 am »
How much stall do you usually run, Rocky?

one flat after the spring has a slight drag.

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 07:48:43 am »

A 1000 RPM 's ??????????????    Do you have a tach to read in the pits ?  18 grams isn't going to do that. Especially if the clutch worked as you desired the startup before--------------------These clutches are totally  weight/RPM sensitive.

We use a tell tale tach to set the idle. This was a brand new clutch from Crower at the beginning of the season. We had approx. 10 runs on it and had just taken it out to have it serviced. Surfaces were cleaned up and reassembled (clutch looked good). After re-installing, the rpms it took to turn the rear tires had increased by a 1000 rpms. We set the clutch up with less weight to run a slippery track, thats the only "known" change. After the first pass we went and added the weight back and the stall came back down to where it was actually pulling through the clutch. I took the clutch back out last night and everything looks great.

Online David Pace

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 07:54:27 am »
That's not a lot of stall.  What's your usual idle speed?
You said you removed 18 grams--total? (not X 6?)
D. Pace

Offline Screamin Eagle

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 12:17:43 pm »
That's not a lot of stall.  What's your usual idle speed?
You said you removed 18 grams--total? (not X 6?)

David,

it was 18 grams total. With the clutch set correctly (to me) I'd have to bring the r's up to 2600 with the brake pulled tight to get the wheels to turn. Without tugging on the brake, the wheels would start to turn with very little throttle opening. With the weight off, it would take me bringing the r's up to 2600 to get them to move.

Rocky

Offline Jay Mageau -The Prospector

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »
taking weight off certanly effects the point the moter tips over at the hit.

Offline Bob Bradley

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • n/a
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
If ya take the one flat of stall out and make it idle at 2600 no brake it should pull it down to about 2400 with the brake on.  Pack at .035 or snug .040.
 80 to 100 grams depending on where ya are running.
JMO--Bob
California Bob Bradley--being over 70 is a victory

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »
Stith Printing Deist Safety

Proud Section Sponsor!