Stith Printing Click for Taylor Motorsports Click for Nitro Madness
Click for AA/FC Registry Click For Mert Littlefield Blowers
Click for Assassin Web Design
Deist Safety

Author Topic: Worst Funny Car Crash Ever?  (Read 13623 times)

Offline John Cerchio Racing

• johncerchioracing@verizon.net
    • View Profile
    • VERIZON
Re: Worst Funny Car Crash Ever?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:09 pm »
The helmet that Jerry was wearing on that day sits on a shelf down my basement. It's pretty busted up.
"Leave the Gun take the Cannoli"
John A Cerchio

Offline DJ Johnson

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »

While I don't believe they were the same year, Steve Group's pink BB/FC Corvette crash at NTR and Tim Grose crashing hard at NTR also, I think.  It's tough to recall, it was back in the mid '80's.

So many nasty, nasty crashes at NTR and Indy, wow...Hell, there are more, I just can't remember them all.

Offline Fun_E_Car

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Ferrin Motorsport Graphics
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »
Blaine Johnson's crash sucked also!

What about the Yankee Doodle Cavalier crash at E-Town one year.

--Dave

Offline ArtC

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 12:05:51 pm »
Chuck Etchells had a bad one at E-Town. I remember saying to a friend that since Chuck was in the car an agonizingly long time, he can come out now, Ricky Ruiz vs Rich Langston also had a bad fire. (Ruiz-Nevada Rattler-Mercury Capri)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:57:42 pm by ArtC »
John said "remember this run" I sure do, bent the crank, tin-foiled the bearings......Our engine builder said "what the hell were you guys doing out there"?

Offline AutoDrole

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 04:13:43 pm »
For me it would Bob Newberry and Ed Parker at Epping NH in 1991. I was in the top-end watching the run when Ed Parker lost traction on one side and went in the other lane hitting BN's wheelie bars. I then remember BN coming toward the guard rail with the butterfly wide open. Then havoc broke loose when pieces of debris came our way.

That was an unfortunate nasty crash for two great NED TA/FC drivers.
Daniel Brabant

Offline East Coast Guy

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
For me it would Bob Newberry and Ed Parker at Epping NH in 1991. I was in the top-end watching the run when Ed Parker lost traction on one side and went in the other lane hitting BN's wheelie bars. I then remember BN coming toward the guard rail with the butterfly wide open. Then havoc broke loose when pieces of debris came our way.

That was an unfortunate nasty crash for two great NED TA/FC drivers.

I was there too, i was near the starting line. Awful crash, luckily nobody was seriously injured (to my knowledge)...
Tim Steed
SBS Racing
7.0 Pro FED

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 05:56:03 pm »
As for crashes I have seen in person I'd say Dickie Bell's crash at '88 E'town points race was the worst. Del's fire at the same track a few years later was another.

Offline Chi Town Brown

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chitownraceproducts.com
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 06:07:20 pm »
Only good in it at the time was it was still a giving gaurd rail and not the concrete wall we have now .no hans device back then

Armco and plate steel cut up many a Car AND Drivers over the years. 
Chi-Town Race Products - Dan Brown
(708)675-2089  www.chitownraceproducts.com
Happy to have served
DSR Team Matco (Antron Brown)
DSR Team Army (Tony Schumacher)
IHRA (Feld Motorsport)
Don Garlits
Bill Miller
Richard Petty Ent.

Offline Stardust

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »
Only good in it at the time was it was still a giving gaurd rail and not the concrete wall we have now .no hans device back then

Bob Edwards Maple Grove
Paul Songas
Twin Cities, MN

Offline ArtC

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 06:42:34 pm »
As for crashes I have seen in person I'd say Dickie Bell's crash at '88 E'town points race was the worst. Del's fire at the same track a few years later was another.

Dick Bells crash was WEIRD! When describing it, all I can think of is the car "tripped" in the lights, went front end over rear and broke both Dick Bell's arms. My wife has a pic of Dels (a white gel-coated Olds)  fire somewhere, he faced K.C. Spurlock who also had a very minor fire.
John said "remember this run" I sure do, bent the crank, tin-foiled the bearings......Our engine builder said "what the hell were you guys doing out there"?

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 08:55:49 pm »
That Bell crash was when the guardrail was off in the grass. I remember he was running Manzo's new Keystone/Amato Thunderird.
Worst non-funny car crash I saw(the end of) was Lori Schapiro taking husband Dave's street roadster through the wooden guardrail,the fence and smashed a bench to splinters about 15 feet from Island's pit side snack bar back in '85.We were about 20-25 yards away changing rear tires when it happened. Skip and I got there before anybody from the track crew. I stopped when I didn't see Lori in the car,thinking she got thrown out. Thankfully she was all right. After it was cleaned up her little son Matt says,"Mommy,you broke Daddy's car." Matt now drives one of those 7.20 dragsters as does Dave.

Offline NitroNutt

• Pro Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:23 pm »

Bob Edwards Maple Grove

http://www.chat67.com/youtube/bob-edwards-fatal-crash-xNGEy+h1tcx1l+E.html

That was a bad wreck
Rick LeJeune

Offline FC Fan 1

• Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:49 pm »
Bob was nearly decapitated wasn't he.

Offline Kenneth S

• Kenneth Skloss
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »
Dale Emery Indy'77. One of the best crash photo sequences ever seen.

Here's a video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB44UyJW9WU

Del's E-Town fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbhiZzt6-Fo&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:26:16 pm by Kenneth S »
Tribute to Danny.

Offline Billy Mac

• Pro Mod
  • Slow a$$ Bracket Car
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
I was able to witness two separate wrecks from two separate years at Orlando, that were eerily similar in their development... I honestly can't remember which one was first, but one of the crashes involved a TAD and the other was Vern Moats in his Kendall car.   Both drivers left the starting line from the right lane and rattled the tires pretty severely.  Both cars went initally towards the center line and then button-hooked towards the outter guardrail.  Vern's alky flopper bounced off the guardrail and pinballed between it and the other side and what was left of the chassis came to rest in the middle of the track just past the finish line.  The TAD's front end "climbed" the right guardrail and the slicks seemed to vault the digger towards the fans in the stands.  The chassis got all tangled up in the chainlink fence and knocked a couple of motorhomes sideways...debris had gone flying in every which a direction...but fortunately, no-one was "seriously" injured.  Yes there were some bumps, bruises and scrapes and the driver did suffer a couple of broken bones...but WOW....it could have been SO much worse.  The injector hat broke off of the top of the motor on the dragster and went through the right lane top end sign...the block, heads and headers stopped abruptly at the old concrete footer where the old scoreboard used to be. :o

These two crashes led to the decision to not include the Alky classes at Orlando division races any longer.
Billy Mac Signs / West-Pegasus Race Cars....
Thank You Veterans (of ALL Wars!!)
God Bless The U.S.!

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:20 am »
Stith Printing Deist Safety