Stith Printing Click for Taylor Motorsports Click for Nitro Madness
Click for AA/FC Registry Click For Mert Littlefield Blowers
Click for Assassin Web Design
Deist Safety

Author Topic: John Buttera Chassis / Nostalgia Funny Cars  (Read 2903 times)

Offline AtlanticCityaa/fc

• View Profile
John Buttera Chassis / Nostalgia Funny Cars
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:33:43 pm »
Hey Guys,

Are there any nostalgia funny cars running today with a John Buttera chassis ? (The state of the art chassis that everyone was running from 1971 to 74). They were well built, looked good, every top gun at that time had to have one.

Thx.
Warren
Atlantic City aa/fc
Warren Mitchell

Atlantic City AA/FC

Offline Paul Stubbings

• View Profile
Re: John Buttera Chassis / Nostalgia Funny Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
We are running a Buttera chassis, it is a 115" WB chassis that was built in (early) 1974 for Leroy Chadderton and originally had a Vega body on it and ran with the "Chadderton & Okazaki" name on the side. The car only ran in the States until 1975 when it was sold and exported to England where it ran regularily until about 1985 after which it was more or less parked up until we got hold of it and repaired it (new head cage, shoulder hoop and bigger K bars to bring it back to SFI spec).

Unfortunately the Vega body was lost back in the '80's but we managed to get a Mustang II that started life as an Eastern Raider car also with a 115" Buttera chassis under it.

paul

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »
here ya go Paul..I came across this last night..Pic is fresh from Circus with the weird Grill and all

This car was Gary Richards' Mustang ll.. then became Crazzzy Jake. It was replaced by Castronovo's sarte' Dart Sport  
FYI Warren none of this had anything to do with me...I was "Frantic" at the time!! ;D 8)
BD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:06:29 pm by Nor'Easter »
Keep On, Keeping On

Offline Paul Stubbings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:44:02 pm »
Yep, that's the one!. The car was purchased from Jake Crimmins in '79 and came over to England, it never ran on Nitro again but was used as an "econo" FC (carb motor) then a Pro Comp car, after the this the body & chassis were split up (chassis whereabouts unkown) and the body was put on another chassis. We have had it since about '95 and finally got around to putting back as close as we could to it's original shape when we put it on the Buttera chassis - it still has the "weird grill" and the same headlights (clear coat is a bit cloudy in places but as they are original they are staying as they are!) but is back on nitro again.

Nice to see the picture as I only have two of it in Eastern Raider colours.

Paul

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
well OK..here's another
this off 70's F/C's is the same car white paint only in cove..my car was white further back(see May 76 thread)

the paint closely copied the Pinto Design
the Dart was totally difrent although same basic colors
Keep On, Keeping On

Offline Paul Stubbings

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »
That's one of the two I had although this is a better copy - managed to ID it from the shape of the front fender bubbles (seems like all Mustang II's were different). We found traces of orange paint around the windshield and traces of red around the rear fenders which clinched the identity of it - along with a lot of info from Franko.

Was it a new body for Eastern Raider or was it a recycle?

Paul

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »
Was it a new body for Eastern Raider or was it a recycle?

different owner/partnership
I have no idea where the Butura came from..have to ask Paul Richards(here)
My whole car was sold to Fenwick/Correnca and run as Eastern Raider BB/FC after much rework and lowering of the cage etc
The real odd happening is after Richards desolved their deal and moved on with the Dart..Al re acquired the orig Mustang ll(my old car) car back again...That was a new body seen in May 76 thread
Keep On, Keeping On

Offline hillbilly on nitro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:42:41 am »
The Eastern Raider was one sweet looking FC. On the subject of Buttera,does anyone have one of his decals for sale?

Offline Nor'Easter

• Bill Dee
  • Top Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »
Hey Paul..there is a better,bigger pic of your  car on the photo thread now.. pg 398 last one
Keep On, Keeping On

Classic Funny Car Board

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »
Stith Printing Deist Safety